DPRK Economic statistics
The DPRK ceased publishing economic performance statistics (Net Material Product-NMP tables) in 1965. Since then, the DPRK has released economic data only on rare occasions. Aside from the lack of availability, there are numerous other problems with using the DPRK’s economic data to obtain credible insight into the North Korean economy. As a result, governments, academic organizations, NGOs, think tanks, businesses and journalists compile estimates of North Korea’s economic performance through a variety of innovative techniques.
Below I list the most frequently cited sources of North Korean economic statistics. Additional suggestions are welcome.
2. North Korean Statistics (Statistics Korea–in Korean only)
3. Information System for Resources of North Korea (I-RENK–in Korean only)
6. Bank of Korea (South Korea)
-DPRK Economy 2013: English PDF, Korean PDF (2014-6-27)
-DPRK Economy 2012: English PDF (2013-7-12)
-DPRK Economy 2011: English PDF (2012-7-9)
-DPRK Economy 2010: English PDF (2011-11-3)
-DPRK Economy 2009: English PDF, Korean PDF (2010-6-28)
–DPRK economy 2008 (published 2009-6-28)
–DPRK economy 2007 (published 2008-6-18)
–DPRK economy 2006 (published 2007-8-16)
–DPRK Economy 2002
–DPRK Economy 2001
–DPRK economy 1999
9. Visit Angus Maddison‘s web page for table of GDP/per capita GDP over time. His data is in an excel spreadsheet called “Statistics on World Population, GDP and Per Capita GDP, 1-2006 AD “.
10. US Treasury Department information on North Korea. US Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security and Consolidated Screening List. UNSC Panel of Experts list of sanctioned individuals and organizations (English) (Korean). UK likst of sanctioned individuals and organizations (PDF)
11. Country Data Report for Korea, North, 1996-2009 (World Bank)
12. International Energy Agency (IEA) data on the DPRK. To access the data, go to the “Countries Beyond the OECD” box and select “Korea, Democratic Peoples Republic of”.
2. North Korea 2007: Assisting Development and Change – Nordic Institute of Asian Studies.
3. Assessing the Economic Performance of North Korea, 1954–1989: Byung-Yeon Kim, Suk Jin Kim, Keun Lee
5. An Analysis of the Effect of North Korea’s International and Inter-Korean Trade on Its Economic Growth by Yong-Hoon Lee, Bank of Korea (9/5/2005)
7. Nautilus Institute:
–Foundations of Energy Security for the DPRK: 1990-2009
–2010 DPRK energy and minerals working group: von Hippel, Yoon, Aden, Choi, Hayes/Hippel
–Status and Future of the North Korean Minerals Sector, Edward Yoon
–Trade with China 1995-2009 (June 2011). August 2006 version here.
–DPRK Briefing Book
–Strategies for the Rehabilitation of the DPRK Energy Sector
9. The (Non) Impact of UN Sanctions on North Korea (PDF) by Marcus Noland
10. The North Korean Economy by Nicholas Eberstadt
11. Famine in North Korea by Marcus Noland and Stephan Haggard.
15. Guidebook for European Investors in the DPRK by the EU-Korea Economic Cooperation Agency
16. North Korea Inc., John S. Park, US Institute of Peace
17. Criminal Sovereignty: Understanding North Korea’s Illicit International Activities, Strategic Studies Institute
18. Coming in from the Cold? An Update on North Korea’s External Economic Relations, Institut Francais des Relations Internationales (IFRI)
19. Role of International Financial Institutions in North Korea’s Economic Development, Samsung Economic Research Institute, November 2009
21. “Western Aid: The Missing Link for North Korea’s Economic Revival?”, AEI Working Paper, Nicholas Eberstadt
22. Chinese Infrastructure and Natural Resources Investments in North Korea, Daniel Gearin, October 10, 2010
23. “Integration in the Absence of Institutions: China-North Korea Cross-Border Exchange” and “Networks, Trust, and Trade: The Microeconomics of China-North Korea Integration” by Stephan Haggard and Marcus Noland.
27. North Korea’s Per Capita GDP and Comparison with South Korea by Kim Cheon-koo
28. Major Statistics Indicators of North Korea (북한의 주요통계비표)
United Nations Documents
7. Older reports
– Final Report of the National Nutrition Survey 2012 (October 2012)
– UNDP Economic Outlook of the Northeast Asia Region, Tumen secretariat (Part 1, Part 2), 2009
– DPRK Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2009
– DPR Korea State of the Environment: 2003 (PDF).
– DPRK Korea’s Rajin-Songbon Economic and Trade Zone Investment and Business Guide, UNDP, 1998
Data and databases
3. UN Comtrade database (merchandise trade data)