China sends emergency flood/food aid to DPRK
According to the AFP (h/t NKnews.org):
North Korea will receive emergency aid from China amid reports that the impoverished country’s food crisis would worsen this year.
China has decided to provide an unspecified amount of “emergency relief materials” to North Korea, its official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said late today.
“This measure will encourage the Korean people in their efforts to recover from the flood damage as early as possible and more energetically step up the building of a thriving nation,” it said.
The report followed a message of sympathy from China’s president Hu Jintao to North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il.
In the message, quoted by KCNA, Hu expressed deep sympathy and consolation over “the sad news that some parts of your country were hit by severe flood recently, causing causalities and property losses”.
The North has reported widespread flooding this summer which washed away homes, roads, railways and farmland, causing an unspecified number of deaths.
Heavy downpours last week swelled the Yalu river, which forms part of the border between China and North Korea, sending water spilling over its banks on both sides and inundating homes, roads and farmland.
After decades of deforestation, the North is particularly vulnerable to flooding. In 2007, it reported at least 600 people dead or missing from devastating floods.
Aid groups warned that this year’s flooding would aggravate the North’s chronic food shortages.
The North suffered a famine in the mid-1990s which killed hundreds of thousands. The UN children’s fund estimates one third of children are stunted by malnutrition.
A bungled currency revaluation last November, designed to flush out entrepreneurs’ savings, backfired disastrously, fuelling food shortages and sparking rare outbreaks of unrest.
In 2008 South Korea suspended an annual rice shipment to its impoverished neighbour as relations soured.
For its part, South Korea has also offered to send assistance. According to Yonhap:
South Korea’s Red Cross on Thursday proposed providing aid to North Korea to help the communist neighbor recover from recent flood damages, an official said.
The proposal was made in a message delivered to a inter-Korean office in the North Korean border town of Kaesong, a Unification Ministry official in Seoul said, declining to be identified.
The ministry said earlier in the day that it was considering allowing emergency relief assistance to North Korea, but did not elaborate. The North, which remains technically at war with the South, had to evacuate a large number of people when heavy rains raised the level of rivers on its border with China and flooded its towns earlier this month.
“It’s not just the people in the Sinuiju border area that we’re considering providing aid to,” a Red Cross official said by phone, declining to be named. “We will follow the examples of 2006 and 2007 when we provided help, but the scale of aid this year will be determined upon exact assessments.”
“The emergency aid will mainly consist of noodles, water, milk and the likes,” the ministry official said, ruling rice out.
The aid, if accepted, could open room for improvement in the inter-Korean relations, which have soured since South Korea blamed North Korea in May for the sinking of its warship. Pyongyang denies involvement in the sinking that killed 46 sailors.
Read the full stories here:
North Korea to receive aid from China
AFP
8/26/2010
S. Korea’s Red Cross proposes sending flood aid to N. Korea
Yonhap
Sam Kim
8/26/2010

Pingback: North Korean Economy Watch » Blog Archive » Sinuiju flood photos()