DPRK, PRC to produce film on Korean War

June 15th, 2010

According to Yonhap:

North Korea and China will jointly produce a film marking the 60th anniversary of the Korean War, according to the Chinese embassy in Pyongyang on Tuesday.

The announcement was posted on the official Web site of the Chinese embassy amid heightened tensions after North Korea’s sinking of the warship Cheonan in the Yellow Sea in March this year, which killed 46 South Korean sailors.

Read the full story here:
N. Korea, China to produce film on Korean War
Yonhap
Kim Young-gyo
6/15/2010

Share

Pyongyang Shifts Rhetoric at Home

June 15th, 2010

Evan Ramstad writes in the Wall Street Journal about some interesting developments in the North Korean media:

North Korea’s state media over the last two weeks stepped up an anti-South Korea campaign after being accused of sinking a South Korean warship, with reports repeatedly portraying angry citizens vowing to work harder to “get back” at the South.

The reports have dominated TV newscasts monitored in Seoul and appeared in newspapers that arrive in South Korea more than a week after publication.

The volume ramped up when Seoul on May 24 announced penalties, including a trade ban, against the North, which it blames for sinking a warship in March and killing 46 South Korean sailors.

Amid the heightened tension between the two Koreas, the North’s reports are not focused on the prospect of conflict but instead seek to connect its government’s anger at Seoul with the need to improve the North’s impoverished economy.

That shows the North Korean regime has latched onto the sinking incident not just to preach about perceived external threats but as a new way to shift responsibility for the country’s troubled economy away from itself, said Brian Myers, an American professor in South Korea who has studied the North’s propaganda operations since the early 1990s.

“They’re using hatred of the outside world to inspire people to work harder,” he said. “The extent of it is quite striking.”

In a typical example of the reporting, Kim Myung Ho, manager of a collective farm, said on a state TV newscast last Friday that workers now “dash to work in the mindset of destroying the enemy’s schemes by doing the work of two or three men. As a result, the speed of rice planting is getting better everyday.”

…”They’ve been vilifying Lee Myung-bak for two years, but this is the first time I’ve seen it connected to growth in production,” said Mr. Myers, who teaches at Dongseo University in Busan and recently published a book on the history of the North’s propaganda. The reporting underlines the view in the North Korean regime that economic growth is not an end in itself but a means to strengthen the country, he said.

Many of the workers portrayed in North Korean media over the past two weeks directed their criticism at Mr. Lee, often in the same words used by government statements, and said their anger at him inspired them to work harder.

“We will churn out as much steel as possible in the spirit of tossing the Lee Myung-bak group of traitors in a warmongering frenzy into the burning furnace,” Ri Myung Nam, a worker at a steel factory said on a TV newscast on June 3.

This Monday, another TV report showed soldiers at a construction project who, an anchorwoman said, were “flaming with hatred” against “Lee’s group of traitors.”

“Enraged by traitor Lee Myung-bak, we sped up our work,” soldier Kim Nam Il said in the report, adding his group last month achieved 150% of its goal, which was unspecified. “We will keep speeding up and mercilessly knock out their plot.”

Read the full story here:
Pyongyang Shifts Rhetoric at Home
Wall Street Journal

Share

Bermudez on the DPRK’s Reconnaissance Bureau

June 14th, 2010

Joseph Bermudez, military analyst for Jane’s Intelligence Review and author of The Armed Forces of North Korea has published two articles on the DPRK’s intelligence and security services.

The first article is called “A New Emphasis on Operations Against South Korea” and it is available from 38 North (U.S.-Korea Institute at SAIS, Johns Hopkins University, June 11, 2010). Download it here (PDF).

The second article is in KPA Journal Vol. 1, No. 5: “DPRK Intelligence Services 1967-1971, Part 2.” Download it here (PDF).

A few days ago a reader of this site identified the location of what is likely the 2nd Bureau of the reorganized Reconnaissance General Bureau. See it here.

Share

Kaesong Zone update

June 14th, 2010

According to Barbara Demick at the Los Angeles Times:

The numbers change daily, but as of early this month, 818 South Koreans were still working alongside roughly 43,000 North Koreans. Despite the supposed ban on North Korean products, South Korea recently accepted delivery of 20 tons of peeled garlic as well as $17,000 worth of clothing and $250,000 of electrical sockets.

Lim, who is in touch with many workers and managers, says that on a human level, relations between the Koreans at Kaesong are not as hostile as one might imagine. He paraphrased North Korean bureaucrats whispering to South Koreans, “We hate Lee Myung-bak’s government but not you as people.”

The South Koreans at Kaesong either commute — downtown Seoul is only 30 miles away — or live for up to two weeks at a time in dormitories attached to the factories. There they can watch South Korean television and make telephone calls home, although they have no access to the Internet.

Since the recent crisis erupted, the South Korean government has ordered Kaesong’s factory owners to reduce their staffing, fearful of what might happen if the war of words were to erupt into an actual war.

South Korean Defense Minister Kim Tae-young said during parliamentary committee meetings last month that there was a “a great possibility” that South Korean workers could be taken hostage by the North Koreans.

To South Korean factory owners, the idea is preposterous.

“People who have never been to Kaesong and who are only watching the television news keep asking our employees, ‘Are you guys all right?’ ” said Park Yoon-gyu, president of South Korean menswear manufacturer Fine Renown, which has operated out of Kaesong since 2008.

“We South Koreans and North Koreans have become very close to each other,” he said. “Yesterday’s enemies are today’s friends.”

But a South Korean worker who spoke anonymously to the conservative Chosun Ilbo newspaper gave a less sanguine account of the atmosphere at Kaesong. He said that armed North Korean soldiers had been seen inside the compound, despite rules forbidding their presence.

The man also said that North Korean employees were stealing food, office supplies and toilet paper, and even grass seeds from a newly planted lawn, apparently following official orders to take whatever they could from South Korean companies.

Both North and South Korea have substantial amounts of money at stake in Kaesong, which lies just south of the 38th parallel — where the peninsula was divided at the end of World War II — but changed hands during the Korean War.

Kaesong is home to 120 South Korean factories, each of which required an investment of as much as $8 million, according to scholar Lim. For cash-starved North Korea, Kaesong is one of the dwindling sources of hard currency. The North Korean workers receive monthly salaries of $70 to $80, of which all but about $20 goes to the government.

Even in the crisis, the industrial park could help defuse tensions. South Korea hasn’t followed through on its threat to resume propaganda broadcasts at the DMZ, in part out of concern about what might happen to workers at Kaesong. Loudspeakers have been installed at 11 locations but remain quiet — for now, at least.

As an aside, Paul Romer is trying to push the founding of charter cities as a new strategy of reducing poverty in the developing world.  A brief summary of his work has been published in The Atlantic and is worth a read.

You can read the full Los Angeles Times story here:
For Koreas, business park remains a neutral zone
Los Angeles Times
Barbara Demick and Ju-min Park
6/13/2010

Share

Most DPRK defectors watched ROK media

June 14th, 2010

According to Yonhap:

More than half of North Korean teenage defectors viewed South Korean movies and dramas when they were in the communist country, a survey said Monday.

According to the survey conducted last month by Yoon Sun-hee, a professor for Hanyang University, 79 of 140 students, or 56 percent, in Hangyeore Middle and High School said they watched South Korean films and TV programs in North Korea.

North Korea reportedly strictly bans its people from viewing South Korean broadcasts and films.

Hangyeore, located in Anseong, 77 kilometers south of Seoul, is a school for North Korean defectors founded in 2006.

Among the respondents, 57 students said they saw South Korean movies on DVD and 43 claimed to have watched videotaped dramas, while 15 watched broadcasts on TV, the survey showed.

It did not say how the students had obtained the South Korean DVDs and videos, or gained access to the broadcasts.

Forty students said they could see the South Korean programs whenever they wanted and five watched them everyday, when asked how often they had seen the banned films.

The survey also showed that 21 teenagers said they had watched the programs once a month, six said once a year, while seven students experienced the South Korean material only once during their lifetimes in North Korea.

According to the survey, most of them said South Korean films and dramas were “interesting,” although they had to view them secretly in the reclusive country.

“It’s hard to make generalizations but the results are surprising,” said Prof. Yoon. “The result itself indicates that North Korea is more open than we expected.”

“The study shows that North Korean teenagers tend to protest against the regime and also enjoy their lives,” she added.

Some 125 respondents were living near the North Korea-China border, while 15 others were living closer inland, including Pyongyang.

Read the full story below:
More than half of young N.K. defectors watched S. Korean TV programs: poll
Yonhap
6/14/2010

Share

DPRK allegedly halts rations

June 14th, 2010

According to the AFP:

North Korea has completely cut off state food rations after China failed to supply the impoverished communist country with extra cereals, a welfare group said Monday.

The ruling communist party announced in a directive on May 26 that there would be no state rations for a while, said South Korea’s Good Friends group which has contacts in the North.

People were authorised to buy food supplies through private markets, it said, adding the directive was due to delayed shipments of food from China.

“The directive was unavoidable” because China failed to send the aid which had been anticipated after leader Kim Jong-Il’s trip to Beijing in early May, group president Pomnyun, who uses just one name, told reporters.

Private markets are now open around the clock across the North, he said.

The North suffered famine in the mid-1990s which killed hundreds of thousands and it still grapples with severe food shortages. The UN children’s fund estimates one third of children are stunted by malnutrition.

The state food distribution system collapsed during the famine. Free markets sprang up and were condoned for a time.

Since 2005 the regime has been reasserting its grip on the economy, with controls or outright bans on the private markets.

A currency revaluation last November, designed to flush out entrepreneurs’ savings, backfired disastrously, fuelling food shortages as market trading dried up and sparking rare outbreaks of unrest.

The North was forced to suspend its campaign to curb the private markets.

Read the full story here:
N.Korea completely cuts off state rations: aid group
AFP
6/14/2010

Share

North Korea supplied submarines to Iran

June 14th, 2010

According to the Asahi Shimbun:

Seoul and Washington have confirmed that North Korea supplied Iran with submarines several years ago, showing that military exchanges between the two countries have reached a higher level, military sources said.

The exports were 130-ton Yono-class midget submarines, the same model as the one believed to have torpedoed the South Korean warship Cheonan near the disputed western sea border with North Korea, killing 46 sailors on March 26.

Iran and North Korea had initially cooperated in ballistic missile technology. They have expanded this cooperation to warships and uranium-enrichment technology in recent years, the sources said.

The U.S. government recently provided South Korea with several photos of a Yono-class submarine taken at an Iranian port around 2007, according to the sources.

The photos were given for the investigation into the sinking of the Cheonan.

One of the photos showed a crane moving a submarine and people believed to be Iranian officials, according to the sources.

South Korea’s Ministry of National Defense late last month said a Yono-class submarine was built in a shipyard for special vessels in Pyongyang in June 2004.

The submarine was likely built primarily for export, according to the sources.

Different sources said the South Korean and U.S. governments also confirmed around 2008 that Iran possessed a 120-ton Ghadir-class submarine, which looks almost identical to the Yono-class sub.

The Iranian submarine could have been a remodeled North Korean submarine or it may have been built based on North Korea’s design, according to the sources.

It has the potential to fire the CHT-02D torpedo, parts of which were found in the wreckage of the Cheonan, the sources said.

Iran imported the submarines likely for strategic purposes in the Straits of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf, according to one of the sources.

North Korea’s military cooperation with Iran moved into high gear after Pyongyang began supplying a number of advanced short-range Scud-B missiles around 1987.

Funds from Iran helped North Korea develop the Nodong medium-range missiles. The Nodong technology was used to develop Iran’s Shahab missiles.

Iran has also provided North Korea with uranium-enrichment technology, according to the sources.

Planeman has more

Daily NK has more.

Read the full story here:
North Korea supplied submarines to Iran
The Asahi Shimbun
Yoshihiro Makino
6/11/2010

Share

DPRK shipping vessels ordered out of ROK waters 20 times

June 14th, 2010

According to Yonhap:

“Since the decision to block the passage of North Korean ships [May 24], we expelled 11 North Korean ships from our waters 20 times,” Kim was quoted by Rep. Hwang Jin-ha of the ruling Grand National Party as saying.

Kim told lawmakers that there was “no major trouble” in turning away the North Korean ships.

Read the full sotry here:
11 N.K. ships expelled from South’s waters since passage ban: minister
Yonhap
6/11/2010

Share

RoK further restricts trade with DPRK

June 14th, 2010

According to Joong Ang Daily:

South Korean goods and services going in or out of North Korea will now have to be approved by the unification minister, according to the ministry yesterday. Trade with the Kaesong Industrial Complex will be the only exception to the rule, which takes effect Monday, the ministry said.

This is a follow-up to South Korea’s decision on May 24 to halt all inter-Korean trade, except that at Kaesong, as punishment for the sinking of the South Korean corvette Cheonan in March, which the South has blamed on the North.

“To effectively implement the government’s decision to halt inter-Korean trade, we revised the rules regarding the approval processes regarding goods and services crossing the inter-Korean border,” said Chun Hae-sung, spokesman for the ministry, in a media briefing.

Until yesterday, items traded with North Korea didn’t need to be individually approved. The report by the Korea Development Institute said the suspension of trade will cost North Korea about $280 million annually.

Read the full article here:
Ministry further restricts trade with North Korea
Joong Ang Daily
6/12/2010

Share

Most nations not inplementing DPRK sanctions

June 14th, 2010

According ot the Reuters (via Straits Times):

More than 100 countries may not be doing enough to implement punitive actions against North Korea, said a report from a United Nations panel that monitors compliance with sanctions on the North.

The latest report to the UN Security Council from the Panel of Experts on North Korea, obtained by Reuters, said 111 of the 192 UN member states, or 58 per cent – mostly developing nations – had not submitted reports on their implementation of the council’s two sanction resolutions.

Those resolutions – adopted in 2006 and last year in response to Pyongyang’s two nuclear tests – restricted arms deals, banned trade in technology usable in nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction, called for travel bans and asset freezes, and banned North Korean imports of luxury goods.

Some 30 countries submitted reports on their implementation of the first sanction resolution, No. 1718, but not the second, No. 1874.

‘Basically, what this tells us is there’s a lot more work that needs to be done to implement the North Korea sanctions,’ a Security Council diplomat said, on condition of anonymity.

Another envoy agreed: ‘Often, developing countries simply don’t have the resources to implement the sanctions properly.’ He added this created potential weak spots and openings for countries such as North Korea and Iran to skirt UN sanctions.

Read the full story here:
6 in 10 didn’t report sanctions
Reuters (via Straits Times)
6/14/2010

Share

An affiliate of 38 North