ROK suspends electricity transmission capacity expansion to Kaesong

Say that title five times fast.  From Yonhap:

KEPCO postpones construction of transmission tower in N. Korea indefinitely

Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO), South Korea’s state-run electricity monopoly, has postponed its plan to construct a transmission tower in an inter-Korean industrial park in North Korea indefinitely amid rising tension on the peninsula in the aftermath of the North’s missile launches, the chief of the company said Monday.

“Since the inter-Korean relationship hit a deadlock due to a string of negative factors, such as North Korea’s missile firing, we have decided to put off a groundbreaking ceremony that had been slated for Friday to mark the construction of the transmission tower in the Kaesong industrial complex,” KEPCO’s Chairman & CEO Han Joon-ho said in a meeting with reporters in Seoul.

KEPCO had planned to build a transmission tower capable of sending 100,000 kilowatts of electricity from the South to the industrial park, located just across the demilitarized zone that separates the two Koreas.

The company currently transmits 15,000 kilowatts of electricity via 23 telegraph polls for more than 13 South Korean companies operating there.

The South Korean-built complex is a product of a historic inter-Korean summit in 2000 which set off a series of cross-border projects. About a dozen South Korean garment and other labor-intensive plants are currently in operation in the complex.

KEPCO’s announcement comes amid escalating tension between the two countries, triggered by the North’s missile launches on July 5.

Last week, North Korea withdrew all of its government officials from a joint dialogue office in Kaesong, cutting off the last direct channel for communication with Seoul.

Share

Comments are closed.


An affiliate of 38 North